Due to the outsized impact SEO and search engine marketing (SEM) can have even with latent difficulties, the pros more often than not outweigh the cons. This makes SEO and SEM important tactics to pursue for most small businesses (even with a solely organic approach or limited resources).
Below, we’ll share some of the pros and cons we’ve identified through research and answer the question: Is SEM something I should pursue for my small business?
– Pro 1: Readily available knowledge and resources
Despite being in a rapidly evolving industry, SEM is a well-trodden tactic with a wealth of best practices for you to follow.
– Pro 2: Both paid and organic results
A well-crafted combination of good SEO and SEM gives you the opportunity to grow both paid and organic search results.
– Pro 3: You can get up to speed quickly
Once you’ve established a solid SEO foundation, applying budget to successful tactics is relatively simple.
– Con 1: New developments can pose a challenge
Maximizing ROI can be a struggle due to changes in the search marketing landscape.
– Con 2: It can prove to be a costly tactic
Competition is fierce which means focusing on terms specific to your business.
– Con 3: It’s not a “set it and forget it” tactic
It’s critical to monitor your efforts and make necessary adjustments periodically.