Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google finished rolling out both the October 2023 core update and the October 2023 spam update since the last newsletter went out, I have stories on both. Google AdSense launched new related search for Auto Ads. Google Ads certification has some strict test taking rules. The Google Ads certification questionnaire is just way too long. Google is testing card designs for the local pack. I also posted the weekly SEO video recap – it is a good ay to catch up on the week.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google October 2023 Core Update Finished Rolling Out
It took almost the full 14 days, but the Google October 2023 core update is now officially done rolling out. The October 2023 core update started rolling out on October 5, 2023, at 11:54 AM ET and was completed on October 19, 2023, at 11:08 AM ET.
- Google October 2023 Spam Update Finished Rolling Out
Google has finished rolling out the Google October 2023 Spam Update that started 15 days and 12 hours ago. That update began on October 4th at 12:52 pm ET and is now completed this morning, October 20, 2023, at 1:15 am ET.
- Google Local Pack Tests Card Design For Reviews, Menu & More
Google is testing a new local pack design that shows reviews, menu details and more in these card design. It is not too far off from the original local pack design in Google Search, outside of these cards under the main action buttons.
- New: Google Ads Certification Requires You To Record Yourself Taking The Test
Google Ads has a certification program and has had one for a while. But Google is now requiring some, if not all, advertisers who take the certification exam to record themselves while they take the test.
- Google Ads Verification Form Too Long For Advertisers?
As you know, Google Ads has been requiring advertiser verification from more and more of its advertisers. Well, one advertiser posted on X saying it is too much, the length and number of questions to become verified is just too much.
- New Google AdSense Related Search For Auto Ads
Google has added a new auto ads option to AdSense named related search for auto ads. Related search for Auto ads lets publishers show their users search terms related to the page content they view.
- Google Chicago Sugar Cookies
Here are cookies from the Chicago Google office. They have a ferris wheel on them, with the Google logo and it says Chicago. They look like sugar cookies.
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google Heated Core Update Done, Spam Update Done, Twitter/X Blocks Bing, Paywalled Content, SEO, PPC, Ads & Local Search
This week, we covered that the Google October 2023 core update is done rolling out…
Other Great Search Threads:
- A *lot* of people seem to be struggling with indexing lately, and at least some of this is simply down to people not really understanding how a PRIORITY system works, so here’s a quick, short, easy on the basics:”, Ammon Johns on X
- I would make a responsive site. It’s 2023., John Mueller on X
- Interesting mobile sitelinks with gray arrow icons. Seem to match styling of People also ask. Google also seems to be showing duplicate snippets on desktop sitelinks. I have a client this bug has been happening to for a while, Ethan Lazuk on X
- Seems like Search Console is giving you information on a technical issue to check out., John Mueller on X
- So, people are talking about LinkedIn collaborative articles, the new features rolling out soon, & the increase in rankings for those articles. But, I’m seeing a big spike, & then a huge drop starting at the tail-end of the Sep HCU. So n, Glenn Gabe on X
- Thanks for asking! From a pure SEO standpoint, you want to give Bing every opportunity to retrieve and display your content effectively. That means no noarchive tag and no nocache tag in your webpages., Fabrice Canel on X
- With just 2 pages indexed, I’d assume it’s a technical issue & recommend posting in the help forum with the details., John Mueller on X
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, on Threads, Mastodon and Bluesky and you can follow us on Facebook and on Google News and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.