Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Google’s search results are on fire, but yet, still no confirmed update from Google. Google is working on a new robots.txt protocol that works better with generative AI. Google is testing a deals carousel. Bing is testing branded side labels in the search results. And Google has player ratings and lineups. Plus, check out the weekly SEO video recap that sums up the week in search.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Search Ranking Algorithm Update & Volatility Super Heated
I am really trying to not cover the Google search ranking volatility and not report on another Google search ranking update but today things got super heated again. And don’t get me wrong, the Google search results have been very heated for over a month but today, things spiked above those new normal levels.
- Google To Work On Complementary Robots.txt Protocols For AI & More
Google announced last night that it is looking to develop a complementary protocol to the 30-year-old robots.txt protocol. This is because of all the new generative AI technologies Google and other companies are releasing.
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google Update, Twitter Blocked Google, Bing Removed From ChatGPT & More SEO, PPC and Analytics News
This morning, we are seeing significant movement with the Google search results ranking and algorithm. Twitter blocked unregistered users from seeing tweets, which blocked Googlebot and resulted in huge drops in Google Search traffic but a few days later…
- Google Search Deals Carousel & Product Grid Formats
Google Search can show deals in both a product carousel format and a product grid-type of format. Some of these I think were somewhat showcased last November but over time, they may evolve.
- Bing Tests Search Result Listing Branded Side Labels
Bing is now testing showing branded side labels next to each search result listing. We saw earlier more basic side labels and before that branded side bars for some search queries. I am also seeing favicons on the side of the snippets. Bing is always very busy testing these things.
- Google Search Player Ratings & Compare Lineups
If you do some sports-related queries, sometimes, Google Search will let you rate the players and then see how those players line up against each other based on their ratings.
- Google Ireland Dance Class On International Music Day
Here is a photo of the Google dance class from the Google Dublin, Ireland office all together on International Music Day from June 21st.
Other Great Search Threads:
- In preparation for Chrome’s deprecation of third-party cookies for 1% of users in January 2024, Google’s ads platforms will continue to integrate the Privacy Sandbox APIs, to provide you with durable solutions., Google Ads on Twitter
- “Make pages for users, not for search engines.” — Google, 2002 Our good advice then remains the same over two decades later. To succeed in Google Search, focus on people-first content., Google SearchLiaison on Twitter
- Blog hidden behind JS search : TechSEO, Reddit
- Occasionally I see questions about sites on http://something.xx.com (“xx” is often a country code). In that case, “something” is a *subdomain* on the site “http://xx.com”. It is *not* a separate domain, it’s not a CCTLD, it’s seen as a part of “http://xx., John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, on Threads, Mastodon and Bluesky and you can follow us on Facebook and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.