Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Will we see a Google search ranking update in the future? Google says don’t change your redirects in a week from when you last changed it. Bing is testing a questions results box. Google is testing “see more like this” icons on image results. Google has a practice speaking feature in search. And I posted the SEO video recap, check it out.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search News Buzz Video Recap: Google Search Volatility, Google News Indexing Bug, Bard, SGE, Site Names, Syndication, INP & More
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Surprise, surprise, we had another unconfirmed Google search ranking update. Google confirmed it had a Google News indexing bug for weeks and just fixed it at the end of this week…
- Will Google Confirm A Future Search Algorithm Update?
With all these unconfirmed Google search ranking updates over the past couple of months and the Google results being super volatile, we are all asking when will Google confirm the next Google search update.
- Google: Don’t Change Your Redirects In A Week (If You Can Avoid It)
Google’s John Mueller responded to a question on Reddit about how to “undo” a 301 permanent redirect. In short, John said you can just change the redirect but he does not recommend you set up redirects just to redirect them somewhere else in the short term.
- Google Search Practice Speaking Feature For Specific Countries
Google Search seems to be testing a new feature to help searchers learn to speak in English (and maybe other languages). It is called Practice Speaking and can be triggered in some countries, such as India.
- Google Images Tests “See More Like This” Button
Google is testing an icon or button overlayed on images in the image search results to “see more like this.” I personally do not see this myself, so it must be a test.
- Bing Tests New Snippet Questions Result Box
Microsoft Bing has this feature where you can see “people also ask” like results under search result snippets, I am not sure what Microsoft calls them, but they provide additional questions and answers related to the site and query.
- Google Tire
This is the Google tire, I guess part of some exercise program at the main Google headquarters, the GooglePlex, in Mountain View, California. I found this on Instagram, below is the embedded video.
Other Great Search Threads:
- In practice, I recommend picking a single strong canonical page per product (& maybe intent, eg b2c vs b2b, or online vs offline), rather than competing with yourself. There’s no penalty involved, it’s more about not spreading yourself too thin., John Mueller on Mastodon
- I doubt it. Why would you assume an AI knows more about your products than you do? (And, to be honest, if that’s the case, then you have a bigger problem.), John Mueller on Twitter
- What is Going on Over There at Google ? If you open up Vacation Rentals you had better make sure you can deal with capacity. Your answer Use a 3rd Party – you know they will just create via Google Business, Tim Capper on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Content Marketing
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
Have feedback on this daily recap; let me know on Twitter @rustybrick or @seroundtable, on Threads, Mastodon and Bluesky and you can follow us on Facebook and on Google News and make sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or just contact us the old fashion way.